Saturday, March 5, 2016

Turning Disability into Thrivability.

I was born March 4, 1950, which makes today the perfect day to introduce my new blog about my life before and after a paralyzing spinal cord injury.

Like many young boys, I spent the first twenty-two years of my life pursuing the joys of competitive sports.  I began swimming and playing baseball when I was seven.  I swam in the AAU Junior Olympics and pitched in the WBBA Little League World Series when I was 12. I also began taking guitar lessons at 13, when the Beatles and the Beach Boys stirred my young soul.

I continued swimming and playing baseball through high school and mixed in a stint on the tennis team until a motorcycle accident destroyed my right knee when I was 16, effectively ending my high school athletic career.  But I continued my musical pursuits as a lead guitarist in a rock and roll band. 

In 1968, our band was featured on a national television show hosted by Paul Revere and the Raiders. We toured briefly as the opening band for Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels and submitted an audition tape to Dunhill Records.

College days, channeling
Steve McQueen.
In 1969, college and military commitments put an end to our band.  I chose to attend Utah State University, where I majored in journalism, and continued to play music to earn money.  I also earned my certification as a professional ski instructor and taught skiing.  Skiing and being in the mountains became the love of my life. I found the second love of my life and married Jayne Smith on June 12, 1971.

A year later I started life over.  On May 29, 1972, I dove into a reservoir and hit a submerged tree stump, breaking my neck.  I was instantly paralyzed from the neck down.  Life as I had known it was over.   Fortunately, I had not completely severed the spinal cord.  Within a year, with a lot of good fortune and hard work, I could walk and had some use of all my limbs, although I was much weaker and had lost much coordination.   But, I had been given a second chance and vowed to make the most of my physical abilities in returning to the outdoor active life that I loved.

At the MS Bike finish line
with granddaughter Ellie.
Within five years, I was riding bicycles, playing golf and skiing again, although at a much reduced level of performance. But I had reestablished the connection with outdoor physical activity that my spirit craved.   In the next two and half decades, I went on to build a successful career as an advertising copywriter and eventually became a partner and creative director of an advertising agency.  I continued my active lifestyle, skiing, riding bicycles, playing golf and boating.  In 2006, I left the advertising agency to pursue a freelance writing career.

Shortly thereafter, my only daughter Erika, 26 years old at the time, became seriously ill with an autoimmune disorder known as chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP), resulting from multiple orthopedic surgeries and subsequent staph infections.  A former ski racer, competitive figure skater, white water kayaker and rock climbing instructor, she experienced a substantial loss of function in her arms and legs, with a loss of balance and strength that severely limited her mobility.  The similarity of her physical struggles to mine was beyond belief. She had a battle ahead of her and my new life was being a caregiver and support for her and for my granddaughter Ellie. 

At Alta, only 13 miles
from my house!
In the last five years, my life has taken a challenging turn once again.  Now 66, I have been experiencing a substantial loss of function, strength and balance due to my aging spinal cord injury.  Today I’m walking with a cane again and living in more pain due to constant muscle spasms.  But I have not lost my drive to continue my outdoor active lifestyle. I’m now using a sit-ski instead of stand-up skis and riding shorter distances on my bike, but I’m still swimming and working out regularly.  I’m about to undergo knee replacement surgery on my previously damaged right knee. But I will not give up.

While laying immobilized, still paralyzed right after my accident, a stark realization etched itself into my soul: we only get one of these marvelous machines we call our body.  Why would we not care for it, maximize its capabilities and use it to find the joy in nature that is there for all of us?

I know that none of us can foresee what life has in store for us.  I also know that the human spirit is stronger than any adversity life can throw our way.   With love and support from family and friends and our own inner strength and determination, we can thrive, not just survive.  I invite you to join me in my quest to make the most of every day.  Together we can push the limits, enjoy better health and a live a joyful life!
 


2 comments:

  1. I have become an admirer, friend and fan of Bob. He is one of the most inspiring and motivating human beings that I have ever had the pleasure of saying is my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Bobby. I'm glad to see you returning to the Blogosphere. You and I have been good friends for almost 40 years now and you continue to impress and inspire me with your positive, indomitable attitude. Keep on rockin', Bobby!

    ReplyDelete